Friday, March 21, 2008

Opportunity of a Lifetime

I've been given the opportunity of a lifetime. As I've blogged about before, I have 5 year old friend who is fighting luekemia. Sadly, he is losing his battle. The luekemia is back for a 4th time. There's no more medically that can be done. The term 'quality of life' is being used and considered in every decision.

I've had this family on my heart since their first diagnosis. I have helped where I could, but since they live in Palm Harbor, I wasn't able to provide meals, I wasn't able to help with their younger son and I wasn't able to visit with Karen like I thought I should. I emailed her once in a while, signed the guestbook on her website and called a few times.

A little while ago, Karen asked me to come to do 'school' with Mathew. She respected my decision to home school, knew my 'teacherish' personality and knew I loved Mathew. I prepared a few things for her 'to do school' with Mathew. Due to the ups and downs (mostly downs) of his illness, I never delivered it.

Finally, this past Tuesday, my schedule cleared and Steve was home all day so I went to hospital, book in hand to entertain Mathew. It was an incredible day. I helped all day long, I encouraged, I listened, I smiled (under my mask). I rubbed Mathew's head (when he let me ), I became a wall flower when I had to, too.

Mat, Mathew's dad, offered to pay me to come back. They were so glad I was there, they were so appreciative. And it was the genuine kind of appreciation. For a couple minutes throughout the day, they could stand in the hallway and not be in 'charge' of answering Mathew's every wish. They trusted me to do that.

I went back Thursday (yesterday) to 'watch' Mathew for an important meeting that Mat and Karen had to attend. I spent all day - just helping - entertaining.

As I walked away, I finally figured it out. "for such a time as this". God calls us to serve him when/where He wants us. He didn't give me the chance to help Karen and Mat earlier because He wants me to help them now. Mathew wants to go to school. So I, the teacher, will bring school to him. We will work on academics and lessons so Mathew feels like he is in school.

While there, I will pray like crazy, I will listen and I will pray some more. It is only through the strength of the Holy Spirit that I can stand beside the bed of a little boy whose about to be called Home.

I need to add how wonderful my husband has been. He has watched the kids and not complained. Also, friends have come forward to help with my kids as I love on Mathew.

So, to me, this is an opportunity of a lifetime. Pray for me as I seek the Lord and His will as I help and for you I pray the same in your life.

No comments: