Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My Dad and the GPS

I am what one would call "directionally challenged". Seriously, directionally challenged. This is evident throughout my life but one of the silliest places I get turned around is a mall. If I walk into a store I have to look back and remember the "BIG" store on the end so I continue walking away from it. Seriously, directionally challenged.

You can imagine my excitement when GPS's came out for the average man. We bought one and it has been soooo helpful. The arguments about 'where do we go' are minimal between my husband and I. The question 'will we be there in time?' Is always answered because our GPS has an arrival time on it. I LOVE MY GPS. I will trust my GPS even when logically it doesn't make sense. It has never let me down. (Well, one time, with a McDonalds in VA).

A couple weeks ago, my family helped my parents unload a UHAUL truck for their upcoming move. It was an exhausting kind of fun where you could easily mark your success. Empty truck, full storage rooms JOB DONE. We were at the stage of returning the truck to the closest U Haul facility. We called the require number and were given 2 addresses. My sweet husband plugged them both into our GPS to see which was closer. The US 19 store was chosen.

I jumped in the truck with my daddy and son and off we went. I was holding our GPS and ready to tell my daddy which way to go...I was going to make returning the truck a cinch!

"OK, dad, turn left here".
He went straight saying, "I know a better way."
I waited while the GPS recalculated. "OK, dad, turn left here".
He went straight again saying, "I know a better way."
GPS recalculated again.
Each ignored turn, the "arrival time" added minutes.
"Ok, what do we do here?"
"The GPS says make a U turn and go back to the road."
"No, how far until the next turn and when do we turn"
"I don't know dad, the GPS doesn't know where YOU are going and which route you are taking."

We finally found our destination (10 minutes later than originally estimated) and returned the truck. I chuckled to myself when my sweet dad told my mom the GPS messed up. And then I made a Godly connection.

Isn't my dad just like you and me. We have the Instructions we need. (Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth). The Bible is FULL of instructions we need to live a life that Glorifies God. But so often, we think our way is better, quicker, faster (it's not) and in the end we refer back to the Instructions to get us out of the trouble we are in. How cool would it be if our Bible had a voice like my GPS.

"Speak with respect to your husband"
"Show love with your words and actions"
Recalculating...
"Ask forgivness... again"

I pray today that I would use the Bible as my GPS for my life trusting it whole heartedly. And for you... I pray the same. Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Blooming Where We're Planted said...

Incredible insight Kim! How true! One for the devotional book?

Teresa said...

Yes, it is so true, isn't it? Thanks for the thought today!