Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Entertaining an Angel

I spent a long day with Mathew on Monday - very long day. I went with a bag full of goodies (an activity for every subject) and a few extras. He was as eager as I've seen him, willing to turn the TV off, nodded or uttered yes/no to my questions. We spent at least an hour. It was sooo wonderful and my day wasn't over.

Next I rode with Karen and her 2yo Andrew to pick up lunch...it was a breather from the hospital air and a time for her to make calls to orchestrate her son's move home. Karen and I ate lunch sitting in her car at the hospital. It was easier to keep Andrew strapped in his car seat with a DVD playing. I did my best to stay quiet (you know how hard it was for me!) as she talked and I listen. It was a precious time - to listen to a heart of a mother filled with hope for a miracle and disbelief of the current events. I prayed for wisdom and prayed for wisdom with every word I uttered.

Next, my duty was Andrew... 2 yo little brother who lead me around the hospital as if it was his home - which he has known ALL his life. At one point, while I had him on the hospital play ground he said he wanted Mathew. After a stop at gift shop to see what I would buy for him (such smartie!), we went to see Mathew. He immediately went to Mathew's bedside and 'checked' on him. Karen said its almost as if they switched roles.. now Andrew is the big brother.

The discharge from the hospital kept getting delayed... they thought it would be at 3... when I left at 5:30 they were still waiting. So for the last 3 hours I was there, Mat, Karen and I would keep switching roles.. one sitting with Mathew, one chasing Andrew and one 'fetching' items needed or packing the car. It was truly exhausting.

At one point, Karen and I had a brief minute with Mathew and Karen put her head on my shoulder...she is so overwhelmed with bringing a critically ill child home AND a very rowdy 2 year old, who for the past 6 months has been catered to by everyone.

The last part of the day, I was alone with Mathew and remembered our Salvation Egg given out by our church. It had seven items that represent the last days of Christ. I went through the story and showed him a Wordless Book. It was so hard to talk to this little boy about heaven, knowing he would be Home soon. I am sure he heard me and I am standing on God's promise that "God's word never returns void!"

On Mathew's caring bridge website the following journal entry was made in the guest book.. I thought she said it beautifully..

Dearest Mathew,
From your hospital room, you teach us so much. Because of you, we Mommies and Daddies hug our children a little tighter every night. We appreciate every moment of wonder and togetherness. We nurture the bond our children have with their brothers and sisters.
You are a wonderful boy – full of strong will and hope. You are loved by so many! Thank you for reminding us to love so thoroughly and wholeheartedly.
Dear Karen & Mat,
I cannot imagine the intensity of emotion you are feeling. I am so deeply sorry. My heart aches for you and for what you are having to endure. Every excruciating decision is made with the utmost of love and consideration for your Little Mathew – and so each decision is the right one.
Because of Mathew, we are reminded of how fragile life can be – but we are also learning how strong and determined we are capable of being. For your fine example, we thank you.
It is raining today as I write this and it feels so appropriate. We are crying tears for your precious child who is fighting so hard against what is ailing his little body. May God bring him comfort and peace.


I truly appreciate all the prayers lifted for me as God uses me in this family's life. I am humbled that He thinks I have something unique to offer. Thank you for keeping the Gliddon family in your prayers. I plan to go back on Monday, Mathew wants to do more school - so we will!

No comments: