Monday, June 2, 2008

There's a lesson here somewhere!


While at Weeki Watchee, we encountered this very friendly boisterous peacock. He would fan open his tail as we approached and then just stand in the middle of the sidewalk and turn around and around and around. We just watched.
As I downloaded the pictures, I thought what an amazing contrast... how beautiful the peacock is from the front and yet he had no problem showing us his 'ugly side'.

Recently, a friend told me that she is tired of being wrong. She is trying to live a holy life and a submissive wife but keeps getting tripped up when things don't go her way. When she asks for encouragement, I try to help her see the big picture of glorifying God. So, she told me she was tired of getting it wrong and then she said that she doesn't think I am ever wrong or have the same problems she has. I certainly have a laundry list of problems, I have an equally long list of sins I fight every day and I have a tripply long list of sins I have to ask forgiveness for... Why doesn't she see these faults? Do I only flaunt the good stuff? Do I bear my 'ugly side' to her?

The peacock let us see both sides of his tail feathers which were created by God. The same God created me - the good and the ugly. I guess my prayer would be that as I minister to my friends and encourage them to be holy that I would let them know that I also struggle being holy. And seek their encouragement also. So, please pray for my friend, that she would not think she is the only one stuggling with being holy - not to give her an excuse to stop trying but to perservere in her pursuit of holiness.

Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only way I can really respond is with a big hug.
-hug-
Your friend ~
Suzanne

Anonymous said...

BTW I thought about this after I had already hit enter for the previous comment.
I have NEVER noticed the back of a peacock before. I have only ever seen the front side. I mean, I am sure that I have seen the back side as well - but for some reason I never noticed the "ugliness" of it. Really makes me thnk.
Thank you for the great post.
Suzanne

Donna Hires said...

I think that you are most often totally transparent to others about the good and the "ugly" side of things!!! I am sometimes amazed at the "ugliness" that you share