Monday, September 14, 2009

Making a Joyful Noise!

An Experience to Remember...

Have you ever been in the car/van with your kids and everyone is tired (esp you) and everyone is getting on everyone else's nerves and you think that maybe this is the 30 minute drive that will definitely make you lose your mind...for good?

That was me tonight...driving home from Lakeland about 7 pm and the bickering/groaning/nagging began the second the doors closed and the engine started. As we drove and I tried different techniques to quiet them/bring peace... every single thing backfired. The quiet game was ruined by someone sneezing... the non-sneezer said "she's out" and you know the ping pong of words that followed suit. SO... no one won the quiet game. Just plain threatening had no 'fangs' cause those who were to recieve the 'discipline' upon arrival home, just whined about the upcoming ''tactile demonstration of thier disobedience'.

I was about this close (hold your fingers about a centimeter apart) to really losing it...suddenly I started singing a snappy tune called Making Melodies - of course, the kids groaned. I said we will keep singing it until everyone sings with me...it took three rounds. As the last note ended, I started up again with This is the Day. Suddenly I had three quite grumpy children turn into three happily singing children. We each took turns singing different songs with the only criteria be they were songs about God/Christ. The range of artist was from Steven Curtis Chapman, Brandon Heath, Chris Rice, Veggie Tales plus a ton that are just great Sunday Morning Sing a long songs - My God is so Big, Joy Down in My Heart, Lord Prepare Me, ...

I think I know how the extreme makeover occured...each of us were focusing on me, me, me, me, me, me, me. What we needed to make us happy, what we needed when we got home, What we didn't get when we were visiting the cousins etc. Actually we needed the Lord to inhabit us and fill us with His love! I know there is a scripture that says... "the Lord inhabits the praises of his people" - but the reference eludes me. I do know that scripture is true because I saw and felt the extreme makeover myself.

So... next time you are in one of those places...start singing songs that the Lord puts on your hearts, sing out to Him... He is always listening.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have totally had this experience... I completely agree, taking the focus off of ourselves makes such a difference! Thanks for sharing your story and insightful words :)